Visiting a Greek Orthodox church in Oklahoma City is a great way to experience the Christian faith. The services of the church are held in Greek and Latin, with worshippers chanting psalms and hymns. The atmosphere is filled with beautiful flowers, and the sanctuary is decorated with statues of saints. The church is open to the public and is a popular place to visit.
Saint George Greek Orthodox Church
During Holy Week, the Greek Orthodox Church of Oklahoma City (GOCO) will kick off the season with the Palm Sunday service. In fact, the congregation will be doing several special services throughout the weekend. There will also be a celebration of the Holy Spirit on Easter, April 14.
The GOCO is actually in two buildings, one of which is being renovated. The triumvirate of the new chapel, old church, and community center is slated to cost a mere $2 million to complete. That’s a nice round figure, considering this church has been around for a century.
As for the old church, it’s for sale. For starters, the church has a few nifty new additions to its repertoire. For instance, a large community center will seat more than 500 people.
During the 18th century, Russian explorers came to Alaska. They exploited the Alaska Natives in every way. The Orthodox Church was only considered a religious community for certain ethnicities.
It was not until the early 1900’s that the Orthodox Church in America started sending missionaries to Alaska. One such missionary was Father Herman. In 1794, Saint Herman arrived in Alaska from the Valaam Monastery in Russia. He settled on Spruce Island.
The mission was successful. After four years of hard work, the Orthodox church was officially opened. There were many sacramental marriages and thousands of baptisms. The Orthodox Church in Alaska also organized a pilgrimage to Spruce Island.
Founded in 2021, the Saint Callinicus mission in the Greek Orthodox Church of Oklahoma is named after the Romanian saint, Callinicus of Cernica. The mission is part of the Romanian Orthodox Archdiocese of the United States of America. The church serves 20 families and rents out the Greek Orthodox church for services.
The church was built from the foundations and adorned with art. It also reopened its publishing house and printed many books for spiritual elevation. It has also solved many of the material needs of the eparchy. During the festival, the Holy Liturgy was celebrated by His Grace Patriarchal Auxiliary Bishop Varlaam of Ploiesti.
Among the many feast days that fall within the observance of the Greek Orthodox Church OKC, there is one that stands out. It is the Feast of the Baptism of Jesus Christ. This is also known as “Theophania.” Unlike Western Epiphany, where magi present gifts to the baby Jesus, Theophania celebrates the revelation of God the Father’s nature as a dove. Theophania also marks the announcement of Jesus Christ as the second person of the Trinity.
As with any holy day in the Orthodox Church, there are a number of celebrations and activities that take place. A central commemoration of Theophania is the choir singing God the Logos.
During his lifetime, the prophet Daniel lived through the reigns of Cyrus, King of Persia and Leo the Great, emperor of the Byzantine Empire. He defended the Church against Eutychians. He was called “man of desires” by the Angels. He also served as the shepherd of the flock, halting the mouths of lions with the power of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Daniel was born in the Samosata region, in the vicinity of the holy Patriarch Anatolius. He later went to Anaplus, in the environs of Constantinople. During this time, he lived in a church of Archangel Michael. During his time in this church, he received the blessing of Saint Symeon the Stylite. This blessing commanded him to live a life of ascetical struggle.
During the XIII century, Saint Mardarius lived as an ascetic in Kiev Caves. He is credited with Magnifying I magnify Thee, O Lord prayer. His relics were opened in advance of July 14-16 Pan-Orthodox glorification services.
Archimandrite Mardarije was consecrated Bishop of the Orthodox Church in America and Canada in 1926. He was in poor health when he was elected. The Holy Synod of the Serbian Orthodox Church added his name to the diptych of saints on the Church calendar.
He was born to a wealthy family in Zakynthos, a Greek island off the coast of mainland Greece. He was converted by Saint Thyrsus. He later became the Archbishop of Aegina. He died in his twilight years, having served in his position for many years. His relics are preserved in the patriarchal church of Constantinople.