The All Saints Orthodox Church is a parish in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. It has a long history in Hartford. During the 1920s and 1930s, there was a lot of turmoil in the Russian Orthodox community in the city. Today, the All Saints Orthodox Church is celebrating its 100th anniversary. Here are some of the events that will be taking place during the celebration.
Building a new church on the Fairfield Avenue property
There is a lot to be said for a building program, and the All Saints Orthodox Church in Fairfield is no exception. This is a church that has been around since 1894, making it one of the oldest if not the oldest Orthodox parish in Connecticut.
In an effort to improve the church’s image, the parish embarked on a building program that raised a staggering $1,000,000 for a new facility. The aforementioned building is a multi-story brick and steel structure, and features a handsome church, a chapel, and a large multipurpose room, with a large stained glass window in the main hall.
Celebrating its 100th anniversary
All Saints Orthodox Church in Hartford celebrated its 100th anniversary on Sunday, May 4, 2014. The parish continues to grow in numbers and faith.
The parish was formed in 1914 by missionary priest Fr. Constantine Buketoff. He was born in Moscow. After founding Holy Trinity parish in New Britain, he eventually founded SS. Cyril and Methodius church in Terryville in 1908.
There were many Greek immigrants living in the downtown neighborhood. They had a strong desire to worship in Greek Orthodox churches. Many of them pushed fruit carts and ran small eateries.
During the 1920s, rival factions arose in the Russian Orthodox Church. In the meantime, the All Saints congregation was being denied loans from banks.
Baptisms, weddings, funerals
The All Saints Orthodox Church in Hartford, Connecticut is located on West Blvd., just 1/10th of a mile from Albany Ave. This church has a growing and thriving parish community. There are frequent services throughout the week. A variety of fun extra-liturgical activities are also held.
In the early 20th century, the Greek population in Hartford was small. Only 25 families were living in the city at the time. However, many early immigrants accepted guidance from the St. George Greek Orthodox Church of New Britain.
The first pastor of the parish was Fr. Constantine Buketoff. He was a missionary priest. His ministry included Springfield, MA and Willimantic.
Live streams from parishes across the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
Live streams are a big deal these days. Whether you live in the neighborhood or miles away, you can still experience a church service. The trick is finding a good one. Not all churches are created equal. Some of the best are packed with clergymen who are able to communicate their fervor to a national scale.
The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America is the flagship epoch of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, and has many notables to choose from. There are Metropolises, Dioceses, and a handful of parishes. One of the more interesting facets of this large dios is the Department of Internet Ministries.
Russian Orthodox parishes in Hartford were turbulent in the 1920s and 1930s
All Saints Russian Orthodox Church in Hartford, CT is one of the oldest and largest in the state. The church, which is part of the Diocese of New England, has played an integral part in the life of the city. In 1898, the first Greek immigrants to settle in Hartford arrived. They sought the guidance of St. George Greek Orthodox Church of New Britain.
By 1915, the Greek community in the capital city had grown to over 200 families. However, the Greek population was too small to support their own parish. For this reason, visiting priests occasionally visited the area. A few of the early religious leaders of the Greek community in Hartford were Rev. Basil Amatoff, Rev. Peter Rigelis, and Rev. Arthur Athanason.
Youth mission project
As an administrator, youth pastor, and writer, Father John served the Orthodox Church in America and the world through his writing and media work. He was instrumental in the development of resources and curricula for parishes and the national Christian Education department. During his long career, he traveled throughout the country and developed programs to engage children and youth in the Orthodox faith.
His lifelong focus on church work included leading youth retreats, training and developing teacher training seminars, and developing materials for local and diocesan churches. In addition, he was an editor for The Orthodox Church newspaper and other church publications.