Saint Andrew Ukrainian Orthodox Church is an ecumenical parish. Though predominantly Ukrainian in origin, anyone interested in becoming Orthodox Christian can join.
Church communities are dedicated to maintaining Ukrainian language, culture and heritage while offering services to their local community.
Saint Andrew Ukrainian Orthodox Church was established by Edmonton’s Ukrainian community in 1958 and has become the largest Ukrainian Orthodox parish in North America.
Churches stand as symbols of unwavering faith in the One true God – Jesus Christ – as well as beacons for spiritual renewal within our communities, with their rich histories dating back millennia.
In 1086, Vsevolod I of Kiev constructed a small church to honor Saint Andrew and the raising of his cross. Nearby in 1215, Prince Mstyslav of Halych created his Church of Exaltation of the Cross.
Under Russian Imperial rule, Ukrainian Orthodox Church quickly faded from public view except underground. Eparchies from all across Ukraine were forced to serve in Moscow while many religious intellectuals were imprisoned or deported from their home states.
Some time later, the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church (UAOC) was founded in Kyiv; however, persecution from both Soviet authorities and Russia Orthodox Church prevented it from lastingly establishing ecclesiastical order for an extended period.
In 1991, Metropolitan Filaret of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church under Moscow Patriarch led Ukrainian bishops in an effort to seek official autocephaly approval from Moscow – prompting ire from Russian Orthodox Church leaders in America who threatened disinheriting any church that adopted self-government practices in America.
After the fall of Soviet Russia, UAOC quickly expanded in America. It has its own hierarchy which comprises of a Primate or Metropolitan (Primate of the Church), three Bishops, and over one hundred clergymen.
Church is at the core of our community and faith, and we welcome anyone interested in sharing the Good News about Jesus Christ to join our services as we spread its Gospel message.
Saint Andrew was one of the First-Called Apostles and an enthusiastic disciple of Jesus Christ. His ministry spread throughout Byzantium, Thrace, Georgia and Kiev (modern-day Ukraine), spreading the Gospel and making an impressionful mark in people’s lives. He made an immeasurable difference.
He was an extremely devout Christian who would go the extra mile in helping others. His mission was to spread God’s word and help more people embrace faith. Furthermore, he developed an appreciation of others.
The parish prides itself on offering social activities for its members. Some examples are the Ladies Auxiliary, which hosts various educational sessions and workshops as well as teas and bazaars to raise funds. Furthermore, The Golden Age Club serves an important function within this parish.
As part of their mission, the Ladies Auxiliary donates generously to various charitable organizations. Furthermore, they support youth and auxiliary groups within the parish community.
Additionally, they actively support Ukrainian language learning and cultural centers for children and adults.
At our church, there are various auxiliary and youth groups, including the Metropolitan Ladies’ League – registered with Alberta Societies Act to raise money for charitable purposes.
The Ladies Auxiliary of your parish provides parishioners with an opportunity to become involved and meet other women of the congregation while working towards maintaining its facilities.
Church members worship One God as Father, Son and Holy Spirit through prayers, divine services, reading of Sacred Scripture and receiving sacraments as well as fasting and acts of charity. Our congregation draws people both of Ukrainian heritage as well as from outside it who desire a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Parishioners of St Andrew’s offer various youth groups to meet the needs of the community, such as St. Andrew’s Children Society and various teen/young adult groups.
These groups are offered throughout the year to give children and teenagers opportunities to worship and learn about Orthodox faith. Their main focus is teaching Christian morality while developing an appreciation of church.
Children are also encouraged to participate in social events like picnics and dances as a great way to meet fellow parish members and build lasting relationships.
Young Adult Fellowship (YAF). This group meets every Saturday evening at 7pm to study scripture and pray together, as well as plan social events such as dinners and potlucks.
Additionally, Young Adult Fellowship hosts an annual fundraiser to raise funds for the church and cover costs associated with renting a hall for meetings.
Young Adult Fellowship members also collaborate with local scout troops to organize events at churches, schools and other community locations.
YAF hosts its Camp Bar-V-Nok Youth Camp each summer in Western Pennsylvania to unite Orthodox campers and youth workers.
The Young Auxiliary Fund provides support and funding for programs hosted by the Ladies Auxiliary of Orthodox Parishes as well as missionaries and other local Orthodox Parishes when needed.
The Ukrainian Orthodox church offers various auxiliary groups to aid its activities. These auxiliary groups often come together for fundraising efforts or social events.
The Ladies Auxiliary is one such auxiliary group. They provide various programs and events such as educational sessions on different subjects of interest as well as fundraising efforts such as bake sales and bazaars; ultimately helping raise funds for church property maintenance and repair.
Saint Andrew’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church is a community dedicated to seeking an intimate connection with our Lord through prayer, divine services, scripture reading and reception of sacraments as well as fasting and acts of charity. People of all ages and backgrounds come together in celebration and worship of our God here at Saint Andrew’s.
Since its establishment, the parish has flourished into an organization comprised of many dedicated members who contribute their time and resources in support of their community. These volunteers take an active part in social and spiritual events like Sunday Divine Liturgy services, sacraments ceremonies, charitable outreach projects, etc.
As the Ukrainian community in Boston expanded, religious education and worship facilities became essential. Parishioners from diverse backgrounds came to Boston under the auspices of a local Ukrainian Catholic diocese for services that provided both.
In 1895, Father Eugene Volkay arrived from Brooklyn to Boston as part of his ministry to work among the Ukrainian community. Under his tenure, they established a congregation and constructed their parish house at Fullerton Avenue in South Boston.
As the Ukrainian community expanded, its cultural and social life also increased exponentially. New organizations were formed, such as SS Peter and Paul Society which started hosting picnics and other events regularly while organizing raffles and fundraising activities to raise money for churches as well as to promote cultural awareness within Boston’s Ukrainian population.
During World War II, community activism took on a different focus. They raised money for Prosvita Society and sent funds directly to Galicia; their proceeds helped establish several community centers there.
As part of its ecumenical activities, this document provided a strong basis for parish activities related to other Christian denominations; at the same time it emphasized the significance of upholding Ukrainian identity and culture.
With Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, local Ukrainian communities became even more active in promoting their identity and culture. Leaders attempted to support Ukraine in its fight for independence while making efforts to alleviate poverty and famine during this period.
Boston was home to an active Ukrainian community during the 1920s and early 1930s, which enjoyed a rich social and cultural life that included active political involvement as well as support for Ukrainians both domestically and overseas.
After World War II, Boston saw an influx of Ukrainian immigrants that created a vibrant Ukrainian community. Newcomers started organizations such as dramatic society and choir group. Meanwhile schools flourished while libraries became integral parts of parish communities.